Thursday, January 22, 2009

100 Sisters and First Loves

Every day, my children do something to make me laugh - sometimes it's just a small chuckle, and sometimes it's a laugh that starts way down deep in your belly and just grows until you are laughing uncontrollably. Yesterday was one of those "big belly laugh" days. I am so thankful that God blessed us with these wonderful little gifts, the gift of children.

L had her 100th day of school yesterday and all (or most) of the classes had "100th Day" parties. In addition to the parties, they talked of course about the number
100. She came home with a worksheet where she had to write what she wished she had 100 of and what she would not want 100 of. She wrote, "I wish I had 100 money. I wish I had 100 friends. I wish I had 100 toys. But, I wouldn't want 100 sisters." I suppose the fact that she wouldn't want 100 brothers goes without saying. That's good news for us, because we certainly don't want to have 100 more babies either.

L also had her friend Abby over to play after school. Well, K has been quite taken with Abby since L and Abby started hanging out together in 3-year-old Preschool. In fact, one of the first words K uttered with any clarity was "Abby". He would say, "Abby, Abby" every day when we pulled up at the preschool to get L. He loves it when Abby comes over to play with L and tries his hardest to get Abby to play with him instead. Yesterday, L and Abby came in the kitchen to get a snack. K walked up beside Abby and said, "I tee tee in the potty, Abby." Then (oh how I wish I had had a camera and could have gotten a picture quick enough), he stood back, cocked his head over to one side, and looked at her out of the corner of his eye. True love. Poor little guy - not only did Abby not think that was the greatest thing she had ever heard, she didn't even acknowledge that he was in the room. She stared straight ahead and never gave him the time of day. She and L ran back to L's room with their Goldfish snacks, and K followed saying, "Abby, Abby come play trains!" I guess he figured if the tee-teeing in the potty didn't win her heart, maybe, just maybe, the trains would win her over.

Like I said, some days bring little chuckles here and there, and some days bring those huge belly laughs. I love these kids.

No comments: