Thursday, January 22, 2009

"Same Kind of Different as Me"

Run, don't walk, to your nearest bookstore and buy this book. A lady I was in Bible Study with last semester put a plug in for the book and I casually jotted down the title, thinking "when do I ever have time to read?" I came across the book months later, bought it, and started reading it about a week ago. It is definitely in the "Best Books I Have Ever Read" category. I don't want to give too much of the story away, so I'll just start by writing the summary on the back cover: "A dangerous, homeless drifter who grew up picking cotton in virtual slavery. An upscale art dealer accustomed to the world of Armani and Chanel. A gutsy woman with a stubborn dream. A story so incredible no novelist would dare dream it." Denver Moore was a modern-day slave in 1960's Louisiana who hopped the train one day and ended up in Fort Worth, TX. Homeless, unable to read or write, he slept on the streets and survived for many years. Ron Hall is an international art dealer in Fort Worth, a millionaire. His wife, Deborah, had a vision to change the homeless population in Fort Worth. This book, their true story, is written by Denver and Ron. It is the story of an unlikely friendship created by God and nobody but God. It will move you to tears. If I didn't know it was a true story, there's no way I could ever believe it. Now, Denver and Ron have numerous speaking engagements across the country. Ron introduces Denver with the exact words Denver came up with - "Just tell them I'm a nobody that's trying to tell everybody about Somebody who can change anybody." I won't tell you any more of their story, except to say it is
incredible.


No comments: