I just heard a new song on the radio - Darius Rucker's "It Won't Be Like This for Long" - it's now the first song on our playlist (turn up your speakers and get out your Kleenex). Although I haven't quite gotten used to Hootie and the Blowfish's lead singer now singing country music, this is a great song. I guess it's the new version of "Butterfly Kisses". The song chronicles the life of a little girl and her daddy, and it could just as easily chronicle a mom/daughter or a father/son or a mother/son relationship. So sweet. The point of the song is just how fast they grow up. If you've read some of my previous posts, you know we just celebrated our daughter's sixth birthday and our son's third birthday. I cannot believe what a whirlwind it has all been. I feel like I am in a car going ninety miles per hour and all I can see out the windows is one big blur - I want to scream "STOP!!! SLOW DOWN!!!" but I know it won't do any good. Time is flying by, and the best we parents can do is hang on and enjoy every second of it. This song reminds me of bringing our own baby girl home and being up all night, many nights - it won't be like this for long. Or dropping our son off at Mom's Morning Out, where he cried the entire time, two days every week, for six weeks - it won't be like this for long. Or the fight L and I had yesterday because apparently I bought the wrong kind of crayons (yes, that's right, the wrong kind of crayons) - it won't be like this for long. Pretty soon that baby girl and baby boy will be all grown up and gone - it won't be like this for long...
Sorry to be such a downer today - the weather outside is yucky, I just heard this super-sappy song, you get the picture. What a precious gift God has given us in our children - try to enjoy every day!!
16 years ago



4 comments:
Todd is snoring right now so I can't hear the song! :-) I didn't know Hootie's lead singer was doing country - I'm so curious to hear it!! I'll try to come back tomorrow.
It will be a beautiful ride. I often think of the statement in the Bible where Jesus' mother said in Luke 2:19, "But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart." By the time you are a grandmother, your heart, too, will be a storehouse of treasures.
I get off line for a week or two and wow I miss so much! I love all the trips and birthday and memory lanes! Thanks for sharing!
I just read Aunt N's comment.... Oh so true and so wise! Takes a Gran to think of such wonderful things!
Post a Comment